Hillsdale College’s Newspaper Wins Michigan Press Association Awards
The Collegian takes home multiple prizes in 2017 College Better Newspaper Contest
Hillsdale, Mich. – Hillsdale College congratulates the students and staff of The Collegian on earning multiple awards in the Michigan Press Association’s 2017 College Better Newspaper Contest, including second place in the Division 2 College Newspaper of the Year award category.
“We’re proud to see the hard work of our student journalists recognized by the Michigan Press Association,” said Maria Servold, faculty advisor for The Collegian. “Their dedication to providing the highest quality coverage to the Hillsdale College community and commitment to excellence are just part of what has made them an award-winning staff.”
The Collegian received 15 awards across a variety of categories in Division 2 of the contest, which evaluates college newspapers publishing weekly. The awards and the Hillsdale entrants are as follows:
- Best Writer: First Place – Thomas Novelly
- Column-Review or Blog-News or Sports: Third Place – Nicholas Rowan, “La La Land” Review / Honorable Mention – Chandler Lasch, Stay for the whole play
- Feature Photo: Second Place – Madeline Fry, Dinosaur display
- Feature Story: First Place – Thomas Novelly, Community unites to find missing boy / Second Place – Thomas Novelly, Freshman in Israeli Special Forces
- Investigative Reporting: Third Place – Thomas Novelly, Committee members break city code
- News Story: First Place – Sarah Chavey, Breana Noble, Thomas Novelly, Donald J. Trump wins / Third Place – Phil DeVoe, Violent protests plague Trump inauguration
- News-Only Photo: First Place – Madeline Barry, Naval Battle / Third Place – Phil DeVoe, Violent Protests in DC
- Non-Front Page Design: Third Place – Breana Noble, News page – Feb. 16, 2017 / Honorable Mention – Hannah Niemeier, Culture page – Jan. 26, 2017
- Sports News/Feature: First Place – Thomas Novelly, Beyond the backyard / Honorable Mention – Sarah Chavey, JJ McMillian feature
The contest also awards prizes to the top newspapers in each division based on point accumulation across selected individual award categories. Hillsdale College placed second overall in the Division 2 College Newspaper of the Year category.
In the 2017 contest there were 816 entries from 16 Michigan college newspapers across 18 contest categories. The College Better Newspaper Contest is part of the Michigan Press Association’s annual Better Newspaper Contest that awards outstanding work from reporters, photographers, designers and columnists across the state each year. For more information, visit michiganpress.org/contests.